Pages

Monday, June 8, 2015

Finding The Time

I noticed it’s been a little over a year since I’ve written anything. This is amusing to me, as the piece I had been working on last May was about the time between 5:03 AM and 5:45 AM. What’s that 42 minute time frame, you might ask? It was the time of day I had all to myself. And sometime in the last year I haven’t found the time to write about finding time…
I made the decision to get up at 5:03 because I felt like getting up before 5 AM is nothing short of ridiculous unless you’re getting on an airplane to go somewhere exotic. With a beach. And someone bringing you drinks. While you lie on the beach. Generally speaking, this is not my life. My life is a marriage, managing two small children, two dogs, a full time job, being a friend, sister, daughter, with the occasional exotic vacation thrown in just to keep things interesting.
Crane Beach in Barbados. I've been here. 
Between 5:03 and 5:45 I would feed the dogs, make breakfast…medium egg on one of those thin bread/sandwich things, toasted, with a little bit of salsa and a slice of cheese. ¼ cup of oatmeal mixed with honey and blueberries. My first cup of coffee. I would watch the news and read a book. I didn’t have to talk to anyone. It was quiet. Peaceful.  And for those wondering when I became old and boring and started watching the news, I’m guessing about 11 years ago when I moved out here and no longer had cable so I couldn’t watch HGTV…oh, that doesn’t make me any cooler?
You know what that time was? ME TIME. I used it every day. It was fantastic, and I willingly woke up that early five days a week. So that was the last blog I was working on—making sure to take time for yourself and finding that time each day/week, whatever you need. I needed time each day to myself, with quiet, where I could read a book. I understand this isn’t for everyone—my husband goes for a run. I run so I don’t have to buy bigger clothes. I don’t consider time spent hoping I don’t die as constructive “me time.” But hey, no judgment.
And then something happened—I started working from home full time. Working from home is amazing. I get up over an hour later, the amount of time it takes me to get ready in the morning is sometimes limited to washing my face and brushing my teeth, and  I’m saving about 2 hours a day just in drive time. Love it!!
I’m now almost six months into working from home and one thing I haven’t really figured out is a schedule. That “me” time that I had each day? I somehow lost it. Maybe because I’m now home almost all the time, so quiet time in the morning isn’t as meaningful? Now I feel like my “time to recharge” involves me leaving the house and being around adults I’m not related to…usually doing exciting things like buying groceries. The only downside to this is sometimes I word-vomit to complete strangers. It’s awkward.
Actually, is it more awkward to word-vomit to complete strangers, or to slight acquaintances that you have to see every week at your 4 year old’s tumbling class? Not that it’s ever happened…

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete